I have spent the best part of the last month learning Blender and 3D modelling. And I feel as if I have reached the point where I can move on to the next aspect of 3D printing.On the software side of it, I still have to learn the slicing software and decide which one of the three (RepSnapper, RepRaps Software, or Skeinforge) I will use. I've installed all three on my laptop and run all of them, Repsnapper seems the cleanest and easiest but does not seem to slice as well as the RepRap software. Skeinforge on the other hand sounds to be what everyone is using but after opening it 10 times I still have no idea how to use it. It almost seems alien in its layout and wording. If anyone can point me in the right direction on which one to use and how to use it (maybe a link to a tutorial) , I would be grateful.
On the hardware side of it I am still waiting for parts.
Monday, October 25, 2010
I decided to enter Thingiverse's rubber band contest today so I designed this crossbow. It has lots of overhangs, nothing under 45 degrees so they should all print.
I have now been learning Blender and 3D modelling for 30 days and have created five projects so far.All are posted on Thingiverse after doing 2 tutorials from Blendercookie.com and 1 from rab3d.com and a bit of reading. My impressions of Blender are positive but it is not all that intuitive, I do have the advantage of not being trained in any other 3D programs and do not have to relearn what seem like odd short cuts. I have had a lot oh no moments, when I've pressed a key while the mouse was over a different panel making it a different function and not knowing what I had done, but all and all as long as you save after doing anything right you can model anything. The hardest part right now with Blender 2.54 is the face normals being inside out, then the recalculate doesn't correct them properly, so I have to correct them manually.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Friday, October 22, 2010
I've started this blog to cover the progress of my Rep-Strap Huxley/Mendel. I will also be covering my 3D modelling experiences with blender and other inventions and fun stuff. My Huxley is built from wood and polyester resin using the mini Mendel/Huxley design but only 20% smaller then a Mendel. I've utilised three nema 17 1.8 degree stepper motors salvaged from dot matrix printers as well as the chrome plated guides and bushings. At the time of this posting it is in need of a thermistor, end stops, and testing.